Saluki signee Raven Saunders (Charleston, S.C./Burke HS) owns the national high school shot put record at 17.25m (56-07.25), nearly two feet further than the previous record.
Office Phone: 618-453-5451
Email Pole Vault/Javelin Coach Brian Porter
Brian Porter is in his second season as the pole vault and javelin coach at Southern Illinois University.
In just his first year with the Salukis, Coach Porter succeeded in developing an MVC Champion in Ryan Sidwell, who won the indoor pole vault title. Sidwell who finished his career sixth (indoors) and tenth (outdoors) all-time at SIU with marks set in 2013 under Porter's tutelage. Porter's other two male vaulters -- John Baughman and Alex Lietz -- also posted personal best clearances during the year.
Porter comes from Texas Tech University, where he enjoyed a successful career as both an athlete and assistant coach.
A 2010 graduate of Texas Tech in exercise sports science, Porter was a seven-time All-Big 12 honoree and a four-time national qualifier as a student-athlete from 2007-10.
As an assistant coach over the next two seasons, Porter assisted in the development of various student-athletes who went on to earn numerous accolades:
- Six national qualifiers (including two in the triple and high jumps)
- A three-time Big 12 runner-up
- Coached the school record holder in the women's pole vault and helped her to an Olympic A standard of 4.50m.
- Coached the 2011 men's Big 12 champion in the pole vault
- Assisted the 2011 Big 12 Outstanding Freshman of the Year, who attained a personal best of 5.41m. Porter studied under Rock Light while at Texas Tech in all aspects of the jumps and combine events.
Porter graduated from Maypearl High in Maypearl, Texas. He participated in football, basketball and track and field during his time there. He was a member of the 2005 and 2006 district track and field championship teams, and ran a leg in the 2006 district champion 4x100 and 4x400 squads.
Porter became the district champion in pole vault in 2004, 2005 and 2006, and he also took the title at regionals in 2004, 2005 and 2006. Porter earned the bronze medal at state competition in the pole vault in 2004, and was the 2AA State pole vault champion in 2005 and 2006.
Porter was born July 13, 1987 to Joe and Renea Porter in Dallas, Texas.