Sophomore DeAnna Price is ranked 17th nationally in the weight throw.
Jan. 31, 2013
By Tyler Wooten
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- Southern Illinois track and field is set to host its final indoor home meet of the season this Friday and Saturday at the SIU Invitational at the SIU Recreation Center.
The eight schools travelling to Carbondale to compete are: Alabama State, Arkansas State, Arkansas Pine-Bluff, Central Arkansas, Indiana, Mississippi Valley, Murray State and Tennessee-Martin.
Southern is coming off a productive weekend at Kentucky's Rod McCravy Invitational, where it claimed four event titles. Kenya Culmer claimed her fourth consecutive high jump title of the season while breaking SIU's indoor women's high jump record yet again, Zach Dahleen won another mile run with a time of 04:04.23, and throwers Bradley Sauer and Josh Freeman pushed their personal bests for wins in the weight throw and shot put, respectively.
Nine Salukis remain ranked in the top-50 in the country in their respective events.
Competition begins with the weight throw, long jump and pole vault at 4 p.m. Friday night.
Salukis in the National Rankings:
8. Bradley Sauer - Weight Throw - 20.35m (66-09.25)
14. Sophia Lozano - Weight Throw - 20.32m (66-08.00)
16. Kenya Culmer - High Jump - 1.80m (5-10.75)
17. Josh Freeman - Shot Put - 18.32m (60-01.25)
17. DeAnna Price - Weight Throw - 20.13m (66-00.50)
19. Kim Fortney - Shot Put - 16.28m (53-05.00)
21. Kim Fortney - Weight Throw - 19.76m (64-10.00)
31. Zach Dahleen - Mile - 04:04.23
50. Dougie Palacious - Triple Jump - 14.99m (49-02.25)