Senior Eileen Schweiss
Feb. 13, 2014
|GVSU Big Meet|
|Location||Allendale, Mich. -- Kelly Family Sports Center|
|Meet Info||Meet Program | Friday Schedule (Invite) | Saturday Schedule (Open)|
|Live Stats||Live Stats|
|Rankings||Men's National | Women's National | Missouri Valley|
|Records||SIU Record Book|
|Media Guide||Media Guide|
|Social Media||@SIU_TrackXC | Facebook|
By Tyler Wooten
ALLENDALE, Mich. -- Saluki track and field will hit the road for the GVSU Big Meet on Friday and Saturday at Grand Valley State, one of two final tuneups for SIU before the Missouri Valley Conference Indoor Championships on Mar. 1-2.
More than 2,400 athletes are entered into the meet from 68 schools, a handful of which are from NCAA Division I. Central Michigan, Eastern Illinois, IUPUI, Loyola, Marquette, Miami (Ohio), Michigan State, Murray State, Northern Illinois, Saint Louis, Southeast Missouri, Western Michigan, Wichita State and Wisconsin-Milwaukee -- along with SIU -- will represent Division I at GVSU.
The meet will be divided into two sections: a scored meet for all invitational and elite events on Friday and the distance medley relays on Saturday; and an unscored, open meet for all open and sub-elite events on Saturday.
Southern is coming off a team sweep at the SIU Invitational on Feb. 7-8. As it stands, SIU currently has 10 student-athletes ranked in the national collegiate top-50 list -- including three who would qualify for nationals if the season were to end today (Josh Freeman, shot put, 12th; DeAnna Price, weight throw, 12th; Sophia Lozano, weight throw, 13th), and four more who are within striking distance of the top-16 to qualify: DeAnna Price (shot put, 19th), Curtis Wideman (weight throw, 19th), Kyle Landon (high jump, 20th) and Kenya Culmer (high jump, 21st).
Day One, which will feature the scored invitational and elite events, will begin with the men's and women's 5K races at 10 a.m. CST. Day Two, the unscored open competition, will begin at 10 a.m. CST with the field events and the scored distance medley relays.
Men's MVC Rankings (Top-Three):
1. Kyle Landon - High Jump - 2.17m (7-01.50)
2. Josh Freeman - Shot Put - 19.25m (63-02.00)
2. Luke James - Triple Jump - 14.28m (46-10.25)
2. Curtis Wideman - Weight Throw - 20.51m (67-03.50)
3. Franklin Adams - Triple Jump - 14.27m (46-10.00)
Women's National Rankings (Top-50):
12. DeAnna Price - Weight Throw - 20.75m (68-01.00)
13. Sophia Lozano - Weight Throw - 20.60m (67-07.00)
19. DeAnna Price - Shot Put - 16.29m (53-05.50)
21. Kenya Culmer - High Jump - 1.79m (5-10.50)
31. Ashley Gaston - Shot Put - 15.81m (51-10.50)
40. Ashley Gaston - Weight Throw - 19.20m (63-00.00)
40. Alexus Scott - Shot Put - 15.62m (51-03.00)
Women's MVC Rankings (Top-Three):
1. Lauren Cheadle - Long Jump - 5.86m (19-02.75)
1. Kenya Culmer - High Jump - 1.79m (5-10.50)
1. DeAnna Price - Weight Throw - 20.75m (68-01.00)
1. Mobola Rotibi - 800 meter run - 2:09.79 (converted)
2. Sophia Lozano - Weight Throw - 20.60m (67-07.00)
2. DeAnna Price - Shot Put - 16.29m (53-05.50)
3. Kenya Culmer - Triple Jump - 12.27m (40-03.25)
3. Ashley Gaston - Shot Put - 15.81m (51-10.50)
3. Ashley Gaston - Weight Throw - 19.20m (63-00.00)
3. Krista Menghini - Mile run - 4:54.36 (converted)