Senior Brian Cooper
Feb. 20, 2014
|EIU Friday Night Special|
|Date||Friday, Feb. 21 | 2 p.m. CST|
|Location||Charleston, Ill. -- Lantz Fieldhouse|
|Meet Info||Meet Schedule|
|Live Stats||Live Stats|
|Rankings||Men's National | Women's National | Missouri Valley|
|Records||SIU Record Book|
|Media Guide||Media Guide|
|Social Media||@SIU_TrackXC | Facebook|
By Tyler Wooten
CHARLESTON, Ill. -- Saluki track and field will hit the road this Friday for the Friday Night Special hosted by Eastern Illinois, one last tuneup before the Missouri Valley Conference Indoor Championships on March 1-2.
Southern will only send its throwers and pole vaulters to Charleston, in addition to a small handful of other student-athletes on the track.
The field events will begin at 2 p.m. CST, and will be followed by the beginning of the running events at 3 p.m.
LOZANO'S BIG DAY
Entering competition at the GVSU Big Meet last week, junior Sophia Lozano already held the second-best weight throw mark in the Missouri Valley and the seventh-best in SIU history. However, in second place and on her final attempt in the weight throw invite elite Lozano hit the best mark of her career on a 20.82m (68-03.75) throw for the win. She now ranks fifth all-time at SIU, first in the MVC and 14th nationally.
With only one meet to go before the MVC Indoor Championships, Southern is sitting in good shape for the conference meet. SIU owns 40 total top-eight marks or times in the conference (16 men, 24 women) -- including five top-marks.
The Salukis retain 10 student-athletes ranked within the top-50 on the national collegiate list, but due to some impressive performances throughout the country some individual rankings have slipped. However,SIU would still have three national qualifiers if the season were to end today in Josh Freeman (shot put, 12th), Sophia Lozano (weight throw, 14th) and DeAnna Price (weight throw, 16th), and four more Salukis remain within a striking distance of 10 spots away from qualifying: DeAnna Price (shot put, 19th), Kyle Landon (high jump, 23rd), Curtis Wideman (weight throw, 23rd) and Kenya Culmer (high jump, 25th).
Men's MVC Event Rankings (Top-Three):
1. Kyle Landon - High Jump - 2.17m (7-01.50)
2. Josh Freeman - Shot Put - 19.25m (63-02.00)
2. Luke James - Triple Jump - 14.47m (47-05.75)
2. Curtis Wideman - Weight Throw - 20.51m (67-03.50)
3. Franklin Adams - Triple Jump - 14.27m (46-10.00)
Women's National Rankings (Top-50):
14. Sophia Lozano - Weight Throw - 20.82m (68-03.75)
16. DeAnna Price - Weight Throw - 20.75m (68-01.00)
19. DeAnna Price - Shot Put - 16.29m (53-05.50)
25. Kenya Culmer - High Jump - 1.79m (5-10.50)
29. Ashley Gaston - Shot Put - 15.94m (52-03.75)
43. Alexus Scott - Shot Put - 15.62m (51-03.00)
47. Ashley Gaston - Weight Throw - 19.38m (63-07.00)
Women's MVC Rankings (Top-Three):
1. Lauren Cheadle - Long Jump - 5.86m (19-02.75)
1. Kenya Culmer - High Jump - 1.79m (5-10.50)
1. Sophia Lozano - Weight Throw - 20.82m (68-03.75)
1. Mobola Rotibi - 800 meter run - 2:09.79 (converted)
2. Krista Menghini - 3000 meter run - 9:43.41
2. DeAnna Price - Shot Put - 16.29m (53-05.50)
2. DeAnna Price - Weight Throw - 20.75m (68-01.00)
3. Kenya Culmer - Triple Jump - 12.27m (40-03.25)
3. Ashley Gaston - Shot Put - 15.94m (52-03.75)