Lew Hartzog coached 90 All-Americans, seven NCAA champions and won 22 Missouri Valley Conference titles.
March 25, 2013
Southern Illinois University will christen the latest addition to its athletics facilities, the Lew Hartzog Track and Field Complex and Connie Price-SmithThrows Area, on Friday at 1:30 p.m. with a dedication ceremony prior to the opening events of the Bill Cornell Spring Classic, both of which are open to the public.
Speakers will include Chancellor Rita Cheng, Director of Athletics Mario Moccia, former Saluki track and field head coach and Saluki Hall of Fame member Lew Hartzog, current head coach Connie Price-Smith, former Saluki NCAA hurdles champion David Lee, and current Saluki senior Tess Shubert, with a meet-and-greet immediately afterward.
Action at Day One of the Bill Cornell Spring Classic will begin at 3 p.m. with field events, followed by the men's and women's 10K races, starting with the women at 6 p.m.
At the conclusion of Day One, there will be a reunion reception for Track and Field alumni (invitation only) at the Saluki Stadium Club at 8 p.m.
Festivities will continue on Saturday with Day Two of the meet. Remaining field events begin at 9 a.m. and track gets underway at 12:30 p.m. A hospitality tailgate for Saluki Track and Field alumni will begin at 11:30 a.m. and continue throughout the duration of the meet.
The namesake of the facility, Lew Hartzog, produced a national powerhouse track and field program at Southern Illinois. During the course of three decades between track and field and cross country, Hartzog mentored 90 All-Americans, seven NCAA champions and won 22 Missouri Valley Conference championships. He won 18 MVC Coach of the Year awards and was named NCAA National Coach of the Year in 1982 and 1984.
A four-time Olympian, Price-Smith is the most decorated track and field athlete in program history. She won 18 outdoor national titles, six indoor titles and five Olympic trials titles during her 14-year post-collegiate career as a world-class thrower. Now in her 12th season as the Saluki track and field coach, Price-Smith has guided SIU to a combined five conference titles and been named MVC Coach of the Year four times. Saluki athletes have earned 51 All-America honors and five national titles under Price-Smith in addition to 148 MVC individual titles. Price-Smith is a member of both the SIU and Missouri Valley Conference Halls of Fame.
Lew Hartzog Track and Field Complex/Connie Price-Smith Throws Area Quick Facts
• Started May 23, 2011.
• Finished May, 2012.
• $3.96 million project.
• Regulation NCAA competition 400-meter track with a state-of-the art, full-depth polyurethane synthetic track surface system.
• Accommodations for regulation NCAA competition field events, including bi-directional pole vault and long and triple jump surfaces.
• Accommodations for regulation NCAA competition throwing events, including a dual shot put pad and hammer throw, discus and javelin areas.
• State-of-the-art, multi-event synthetic turf infield which can be set to accommodate an NCAA regulation soccer pitch or football field.
• Spectator seating for 250, including seven ADA positions with future capacity for up to 500 additional spectators.
• Pole-mounted track and field sports lighting.
• 4,500 square foot track and locker support building with future expansion capability.
• Free-standing track building for event operations and viewing.
Lew Hartzog Career Notes
• Saluki Track and Field head coach from 1960-84; Cross Country head coach from 1960-82; Men's Golf coach from 1986-92.
• Southern Illinois Director of Athletics from 1981-85.
• Between Track and Cross Country, coached 90 All-Americans, 14 Olympians, 12 NCAA Runners-Up and seven NCAA champions.
• Two-time NCAA National Coach of the Year (1982, '84).
• 22 MVC Championships between cross country and indoor and outdoor track.
• 19-time MVC Coach of the Year (Track and Golf).
• Led SIU to three top-ten team finishes at the NCAA National Meet (SIU has five in its history).
• Member of five different Halls of Fame: Drake Relays (1987), Southern Illinois (1987), Illinois Track Coaches (1988), Missouri Valley Conference (2003), and USTFCCCA (2007).
Connie Price-Smith Career Notes
• Saluki Track and Field head coach from 2004 to present; Saluki Women’s Track and Field coach from 2001-04.
• Four-time MVC Women’s Coach of the Year (2005 & 2009 indoor, 2009 & 2010 outdoor)
• Five MVC team championships (2005 & 2009 women’s indoor, 2009 & 2010 women’s outdoor, 2012 men’s indoor)
• Coached 51 All-Americans and five NCAA national champions.
• Coached 148 MVC champions and 14 MVC Most Valuable Athletes.
• Four-time Olympian (1988, 1992, 1996, 2000)
• 18 Outdoor national titles, six indoor titles and six Olympic trials titles as a post-collegiate thrower.
• MVC Hall of Fame (2012)
• SIU Athletics Hall of Fame (1990)
• SIU Distinguished Alumni Award (2001)
• SIU Administrative/Professional Woman of Distinction (2007)
|Thursday, May 26|
|Track||Lawrence, Kan.||4:30 PM||Live Results|
|Friday, May 27|
|Track||Lawrence, Kan.||12:00 PM||Live Results|
|Saturday, May 28|
|Track||Lawrence, Kan.||12:00 PM||Live Results|
|Wednesday, June 8|
|Track||Eugene, Ore.||12:30 PM|