Freshman Josh Freeman is ranked 14th nationally in the shot put.
April 4, 2013
By Tyler Wooten
CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. -- Saluki track and field will make the short trip to Southeast Missouri State to compete in the Joey Haines Invitational this Friday and Saturday.
In addition to SEMO, other regional schools in attendance include SIU-Edwardsville, Arkansas State and fellow Missouri Valley Conference member Northern Iowa.
Day One on Friday features only one event -- the hammer throws. However, with four student-athletes nationally ranked in the top-35 in the event, Southern is looking to claim another hammer sweep.
Day Two begins at 11 a.m. on Saturday with field events, followed by the men's 3000m steeplechase at 11:30 a.m.
Southern is coming off an impressive performance at the inaugural Bill Cornell Spring Classic, where the Salukis won nine event titles and the women's team competition. Winning for SIU were Lauren Cheadle (long jump), Kenya Culmer (high jump, triple jump), Josh Freeman (shot put), J.C. Lambert (discus, hammer throw), Dougie Palacious (triple jump), DeAnna Price (hammer throw), and Amiris Warren (100m dash).
As it currently stands, Southern has 13 student-athletes ranked nationally in the top-50 in their respective events (six men, seven women).
Hammer throw at Day One begins at 3:30 p.m. on Friday.
Men's National Rankings:
3. J.C. Lambert - Hammer Throw - 67.09m (220-01) - All-Time MVC and SIU Record
14. Josh Freeman - Shot Put - 18.09m (59-04.25) - Sixth all-time at SIU in outdoor shot put
31. Eric Reeves - Long Jump - 7.34m (24-01.00)
33. Bradley Sauer - Hammer Throw - 60.50m (198-06)
43. Dougie Palacious - Triple Jump - 15.00m (49-02.50)
48. Brett Kohler - 400 Meter Hurdles - 52.87