Larry Warner brings energy to the practice field.
By John Lock
CARBONDALE, Ill. - The Salukis moved from the stadium to the grass fields for today's practice. Temperatures in the 80s with low humidity were comfortable for this time of year.
1. Even with six new coaches on the staff, things appear to be running smoothly after two days of camp. Head coach Dale Lennon said the staff changes have forced everyone to be more thorough in going over the little details.
2. No coach has more energy than brand-new running backs coach Larry Warner. If you don't see him, you can usually hear him. Malcolm Agnew said after practice, "He's great. If there's one spot that needs energy, it's the running backs. We feed off him." During windsprints after practice, guard Jamarcus Robinson was laboring, so Warner jogged beside him and encouraged him, saying they'd get through it together one step at a time.
3. Lennon gave a lot of credit for the smooth transition with the new coaches to offensive coordinator Bill O'Boyle. With Lennon taking on defensive coordinator duties this year, it's O'Boyle who has four of the six new coaches on his side of the ball.
4. Tight end Adam Fuehne has not practiced with the team as he recovers from mononucleosis. Lennon said he's no longer contagious but still has a couple more weeks of recovery time before he's back on the field. Josh Skadeland is getting increased reps alongside All-American MyCole Pruitt when the Salukis use a two-tight end set.
6. Outside of the CFPA Watch Lists, only Pruitt and Kinney, who are preseason All-Americans, have gotten much preseason recognition. Pruitt and Kinney were SIU's only representation on the preseason All-Conference team. Players and coaches are both cognizant. "I think we have more players that are at that level," Lennon said. "(Players) should be using that as incentive."
7. After two days in just helmets, the team will add shoulder pads for tomorrow's practice. The first full-pads practice is on Thursday, two days before the first scrimmage.
8. The web site for this year's Black Out Cancer game went live today. Bid on your Black Out Cancer jersey at SalukisBlackOutCancer.com.