Running back Malcolm Agnew finished with 97 yards, the most for a Saluki since Jewel Hampton ran for 178 against Indiana State on Nov. 19, 2011.
Sept. 14, 2013
Southern Illinois 31, Charleston 10
Saluki Stadium | Carbondale, Ill. | Attendance: 7,231
• Southern has had 400 yards of total offense in each game this season after only posting that total twice in 2012.
• The last time a Saluki broke 90 was the 2012 season finale against Western Illinois when Steve Strotherrushed for 90.
• Fullback Rik Hickscaught two passes for 11 yards and one touchdown. Hicks now has seven career receptions and five TD receptions -- three of which have come in the last three games.
• Southern lost three fumbles and threw one interception that was returned 48 yards. This is the first time the Salukis have turned the ball over four times in a single game since Sep. 11, 2011 at Ole Miss.
• This is the second straight week the Southern has posted 200 yards rushing as a team.
• This was also the second straight week that at least two Saluki running backs have ran for at least 50 yards. In addition to Agnew's 97 on the ground, Willis added 84 yards rushing.
• Quarterback Kory Faulkner has now not thrown an interception in 112 attempts.
• Wide receiver John Lantz now has 228 yards receiving through three games, only 50 yards off his career high for a single season.
• Redshirt freshman Ryan West threw his first two career touchdown passes in the game. The second one was to fellow redshirt freshman Kyle Newquist. It was Newquist's first career reception and first career TD.
• Running back Ken Malcome made his first career start as a Saluki. He ran for 36 yards on 11 carries and scored his first touchdown of the season.
• SIU has now held an opponent to 50 or fewer rushing yards in four of its last five games.
• The Saluki defense tallied 11.0 tackles for loss, the second time SIU has notched over 10 TFL in three games this season.
• 11.0 TFL is the most for a Saluki team since SIU had 12.0 TFL against Western Illinois in 2012.
• In 11 of Southern's last 13 games the Salukis have posted at least 5.0 TFL.
• With four sacks, Southern extended its streak of consecutive games with a sack to 29, including 42 of its last 43 games.
• SIU has had at least two sacks in each of the previous five games and 11 out of its last 13.
• Southern has now forced a turnover in nine consecutive games.
• Saluki defensive end Calvin Belts tripled his career total in forced fumbles to three with two balls knocked loose against Charleston. Belts also posted one sack and 2.0 TFL.
• Inside linebacker Jordan Poole nabbed his first career interception and returned it 12 yards.
• Cornerback Chris Davis made his first career start as a Saluki. He had three tackles (two solo, one assisted).
|Saturday, Sept 5|
|Football||Bloomington, Ind.||3:00 PM|
|Saturday, Sept 12|
|Football||Cape Girardeau, Mo.||6:00 PM|
|Saturday, Sept 26|
|Football||Carbondale, Ill.||6:00 PM|
|Saturday, Oct 3|
|Football||Macomb, Ill.||3:00 PM|