Jayson DiManche tied Bart Scott for career TFLs in SIU's 14-6 win over Missouri State.
Sept. 22, 2012
Southern Illinois 14, Missouri State 6
Plaster Field // Springfield, Mo. // Attendance: 9,217
- Southern won its conference opener for the 10th time in the last 11 years.
- SIU beat Missouri State for the ninth time in the last 10 games between the schools. Southern leads the all-time series, between the two schools 18-17, for the first time since leading the series 7-6 in 1990.
- Jayson DiMance recorded 1.5 tackles for loss on the day, which tied him with Bart Scott for the ninth-most career TFLs in a Saluki career. (29.0)
- DiManche had 3.0 sacks in 11 games last year. He has had 1.0 sacks in each of the four games in 2012, already eclipsing his 2011 total.
- Southern's defense recorded a sack for the 19th consecutive game and the 32nd game in the last 33.
- Austin Pucylowski punted 11 times on the day, which is tied for the second-most punts by a player in a single game in school history. Steve Mick punted 12 times against Louisiana-Lafayette in 1977.
- SIU's 198 yards of total offense was its fewest since recording only 187 yards against William & Mary in the 2009 playoffs.
- Missouri State's Ryan Heaston rushed for 126 yards, becoming the first 100-yard rusher against the Saluki defense this season and just the second in the last nine.
- Emmanuel Souarin's interception return for a touchdown was the first interception of the season for the Salukis. It was the first pick-six for SIU since Mike McElroy returned an interception for a TD against Indiana State in last year's season finale.
- Head coach Dale Lennon tied Abe Martin for the fourth-most career coaching wins in SIU history with 31.
- Courtney Richmond's interception to seal the game with less than three minutes remaining was his first career interception.
- Bryan Presume led the team with 10 tackles. It was his second double-digit tackles game of the season. Last year, SIU only had two players record double-digit tackles in a game.
- SIU failed to convert a third down during the game, going 0-13. SIU has converted at least one third down in every game dating back at least through the 2006 season.
- Mulku Kalokoh had a career high rush (36 yards), rushing yards (39) and touchdowns (1) in the game. He scored his first career touchdown on the 12 yard pass just moments after his 36-yard rush. Kalokoh accounted for 51 of SIU's 63 yards on its only touchdown drive.