Steve Strother had 78 yards rushing, his most since posting 116 against Ole Miss in 2011.
Oct. 6, 2012
Southern Illinois 17, Illinois State 0
Normal, Ill. / Hancock Stadium / Attendance: 8,000 (Sellout)
- The shutout was the third of the Lennon era and first since beating Indiana State 33-0 in 2009. The other shutout was a 33-0 win over Youngstown State in 2008.
- The win was SIU's first over a top-10 team on the road since beating South Dakota State 35-14 in 2009.
- Southern has held five straight opponents under 375 yards of total offense and has held the opponent to fewer than 260 total offense yards in four of the last five games.
- Illinois State's 257 total yards were more than 100 yards fewer than its previous season low. The Redbirds previous season low was 371 yards against FBS school Eastern Michigan.
- Southern allowed just 41 rushing yards to Illinois State, the fewest since holding Western Illinois to -7 yards rushing in 2010.
- The Illinois State game marked the second time this season SIU has allowed fewer than 100 yards rushing, after holding Eastern Illinois to 89 yards rushing. SIU held two teams under 100 yards rushing last year.
- Southern has recorded a sack in 21 consecutive games and 34 of the last 35. Illinois State had only allowed three total sacks in its five previous games in 2012.
- Southern entered the game with only two interceptions in the first five games but picked of Illinois State quarterback Matt Brown four times.
- Entering the game, Brown had taken only three sacks on thrown only three interceptions. Southern Illinois sacked Brown twice and intercepted him four times. Brown had not had more than one interception in any of the first five games this year.
- Southern intercepted four passes in a game for the first time since playing Indiana State in 2007.
- Anthony Thompson returned a blocked punt 16 yards for a touchdown, the first blocked punt for a touchdown since Luke Thustonreturned a blocked punt eight yards for a TD against Illinois State in 2010.
- After giving up eight explosive plays (20 or more yards) in the season opener against Eastern Illinois, SIU has allowed only eight total explosive plays in the last five games, including only two to Illinois State.
- Southern has shut out the opponent in eight of the last 10 quarters played.
- Tyler Williamsonset career highs in all his defensive categories. He led the team with seven tackles, which were all solos, 2.0 tackles for loss, 1.0 sacks and his first career interception.
- SIU head coach Dale Lennonwon his 32nd career game at Southern Illinois, surpassing Abe Martin for the fourth-most in school history. Lennon now needs 22 more wins to catch Rey Dempsey for third-place on the all-time list.
- MyCole Pruittrecorded a reception for the 16th time in his 17 career games.
- The game marked the first of five-straight games for SIU against teams currently ranked in the top-25. Southern Illinois hasn't faced five-straight ranked opponents since facing six straight to close the 2005 season.
- The 17-0 win moved the all-time series with Illinois State to 39-33-3 in favor of Southern Illinois. The series moved to 17-18-2 in games at Normal, Ill., in favor of Illinois State.
- Southern Illinois hasn't scored in the third quarter since the first game of the year.
- Southern has won five of the last six games in the series.
- Steve Strother had a season high in rushing with 78 yards. It was his most rushing yards since posting 116 yards against Ole Miss in the second game of 2011.