Steve Strother had 101 all-purpose yards to give him exactly 3,000 for his career.
Oct. 13, 2012
Southern Illinois 34, Northern Iowa 31
Saluki Stadium / Carbondale, Ill. / Attendance: 10,575
- Southern Illinois closed the gap in the series to 16-15 all-time, in favor of Northern Iowa. SIU now leads the series 12-4 in Carbondale.
- Head coach Dale Lennon improved his record to 33-21 at SIU and 24-12 in the conference.
- Southern improved its home record to 2-1 on the year and 8-6 since Saluki Stadium opened for the 2010 season.
- SIU scored on offense, defense (100-yard fumble return) and special teams (punt block return).
- Bryan Presume's 100-yard fumble return for a touchdown was only the second time in school history SIU had recorded a 100-yard play. JerMarsh Robinson returned a kickoff 100 yards for a touchdown against Indiana State in 2000.
- Presume's return was the 22nd fumble return for a touchdown in school history and the first since Kyle Russo returned a fumble 28 yards for a touchdown in 2009.
- The Salukis previous long fumble return was a 90-yard return by Sam Wilkerson against Missouri State in 1996.
- Kenneth Boatright blocked a punt and fell on it in the endzone for a touchdown. SIU blocked a punt for a touchdown in back-to-back games in 2010, when Taylon Hunter scored on a blocked punt at Youngstown State and Luke Thuston scored one at Illinois State a week later.
- Southern Illinois scored on offense, defense and special teams for the 10th time since 1957 (records are incomplete before 1957). The Salukis last scored in all three phases of a game in 2008. A complete list of games in which SIU scored in all three phases can be found at the bottom of the page.
- Southern Illinois' winning touchdown drive was 19 plays, 58 yards and consumed eight minutes and 55 seconds. The drive was the longest drive of the season in terms of plays and time.
- Southern's 34 points were the most of the season.
- Southern Illinois is off to a 3-1 start in the conference for the first time since sweeping through the conference with an 8-0 record in 2009.
- Northern Iowa entered the game having only allowed four sacks all year in their five games. Southern sacked the Panthers five times.
- In the Dale Lennon/Bubba Schweigert era. Southern now has five sacks in six games, including two this season.
- Southern has now recorded a sack in 22 consecutive games and 35 of the last 36 games.
- With one tackle for loss, Jayson DiManche is now tied for sixth in school history with 31.0 career TFLs.
- Southern Illinois entered the game ranked 14th nationally in sacks with 2.8 per game, and it added five sacks to that total. Southern now averages 3.1 sacks per game.
- Southern scored on special teams for the second week in a row.
- Steve Strother compiled 101 all-purpose yards, moving his career total to exactly 3,000. With 3,000 career all-purpose yards, Strother ranks seventh in school history.
- Kory Faulkner set a career high with 73 yards rushing, surpassing his previous career high of 70 His previous best was set in his first game getting major playing time, against Western Illinois in 2011.
- Faulkner led the team in rushing for the second time in his career.
- After missing his first three field goals of the year, Austin Johnson has made four of his last five field goal attempts, including Saturday's game winner with less than a minute remaining.
- With an 80 percent completion percentage, Kory Faulkner tied for the seventh-best single-game completion percentage in school history.
- The home team is 15-1 in the SIU-UNI series since 1997. The only win in that time was SIU's win at UNI in 2009.
- The last six meetings between the schools have been decided by a touchdown or less. Nine of the last 10 games between the schools have been decided by a touchdown or less.
- LaSteven McKinney tied a career high with eight receptions. McKinney had not recorded a reception in either of the last two weeks.
SIU Scoring on Offense, Defense, and Special Teams
Nov. 22, 1969 - at Missouri State (Int., punt returns)
Oct. 3, 1970 - vs. Lamar (Int., punt returns)
Sept. 24, 1983 - at Northern Iowa (Int., blocked punt)
Oct. 19, 1985 - vs. SEMO (2 Int., punt return)
Oct. 30, 1999 - vs. Missouri State (Fumble, kick return)
Aug. 29, 2002 - vs. Kentucky Wesleyan (2 fumble returns, kick return)
Sept. 1, 2005 - at SEMO (Int., fumble, blocked punt return)
Oct. 11, 2008 - vs. Indiana State (fumble, blocked punt return)
Nov. 15, 2008 - vs. South Dakota State (Int., kick return)
Oct. 13, 2012 - vs. Northern Iowa (blocked punt return, fumble return)
|Thursday, Aug 28|
|Football||Carbondale, Ill.||7:00 PM|
|Saturday, Sept 6|
|Football||Charleston, Ill.||6:00 PM|
|Saturday, Sept 13|
|Football||Carbondale, Ill.||6:00 PM|
|Saturday, Sept 20|
|Football||West Lafayette, Ind.||TBA|
|Saturday, Sept 27|
|Football||Carbondale, Ill.||6:00 PM|