Kory Faulkner has thrown his last 71 passes without an interception.
Oct. 21, 2012
Southern Illinois 38, No. 15/16 Youngstown State 21
Stambaugh Stadium // Youngstown, Ohio // Attendance: 13,079
- Southern closed the gap in the all-time series to 12-11-1, in favor of Youngstown State. The Penguins lead the series in games played in Youngstown, Ohio, 7-5.
- Dale Lennon improved to 34-21 as SIU's head coach and 135-54 overall in his 16th years as a head coach. Lennon is now 3-2 against Youngstown State.
- The Salukis snapped a two-game losing streak against the `Guins.
- Southern Illinois blocked a punt and returned it for a touchdown for the third consecutive week. SIU had never returned three blocked punts for a touchdown in a season prior to this year.
- Southern scored on offense, defense and special teams for the second consecutive week. Southern had never pulled off the feat in consecutive weeks before. Only once before had SIU scored in all three phases twice in a season (2008). A complete list of games in which the Salukis scored in all three phases of the game can be found at the bottom of the page.
- SIU recorded a 100-yard scoring play for the second week in a row. Before last week's game at Northern Iowa, SIU had only one 100-yard scoring play in its history. The Salukis now have 100-yard plays in back-to-back weeks. Bryan Presume returned a fumble 100 yards for a touchdown against Northern Iowa and Anthony Thompsonreturned an interception 100 yards for a touchdown against Youngstown State.
- Southern forced five turnovers for the first time this season. Southern entered the game tied for 14th nationally with 16 takeaways, and the Salukis added five more to the total.
- Southern recorded a sack for the 23rd consecutive game. SIU has at least one sack in 36 of its last 37 games.
- Southern Illinois shut out Youngstown State in the second half on Saturday. The Salukis have shut out their opponent in five of their last 12 halves this season.
- David Lewis recorded a catch in his 11th-straight game, dating back to last season. Lewis is the only SIU receiver with at least one catch in every game in 2012.
- Kory Faulkner has thrown his last 71 passes without an interception. In his first 179 passes of the season, Faulkner threw eight picks, one per 22 attempts. The Salukis are 4-0 when Faulkner doesn't throw an interception and 1-3 when he does.
- Fifteen players on the Saluki defense have recorded at least 20 tackles. Seven players have recorded an interception. Nine players have recorded a sack. Sixteen different players have recorded at least a part of a tackle for loss. Ten different players have recovered a fumble, and 11 different players have forced a fumble.
- The Salukis haven't had a 100-yard rusher in any of their eight games this season.
- Austin Johnson made his only attempted field goal. After missing his first three field goal attempts of the season, Johnson has made four in a row and five of his last six attempts.
- Only 11 of Austin Pucylowski's 52 punts this season have been returned. In those 11 punts, the opponent has gained a total of 11 yards. Youngstown State returned two punts for a total of two yards on Saturday.
SIU Scoring on Offense, Defense, and Special Teams
Nov. 22, 1969 - at Missouri State (Interception return, punt return)
Oct. 3, 1970 - vs. Lamar (Interception return, punt return)
Sept. 24, 1983 - at Northern Iowa (Interception return, blocked punt)
Oct. 19, 1985 - vs. SEMO (2 Interception returns, punt return)
Oct. 30, 1999 - vs. Missouri State (Fumble return, kick return)
Aug. 29, 2002 - vs. Kentucky Wesleyan (2 fumble returns, kick return)
Sept. 1, 2005 - at SEMO (Interception return, fumble return, blocked punt return)
Oct. 11, 2008 - vs. Indiana State (fumble return, blocked punt return)
Nov. 15, 2008 - vs. South Dakota State (Interception return, kick return)
Oct. 13, 2012 - vs. Northern Iowa (blocked punt return, fumble return)
Oct. 20, 2012 - at Youngstown State (blocked punt return, interception return, fumble return)
|Saturday, Oct 10|
|Football||Carbondale, Ill.||6:00 PM|
|Saturday, Oct 17|
|Football||Terre Haute, Ind.||2:05 PM||StatBroadcast|
|Saturday, Oct 24|
|Football||Carbondale, Ill.||6:00 PM||ESPN3|
|Saturday, Oct 31|
|Football||Carbondale, Ill.||2:00 PM||ESPN3|
|Saturday, Nov 7|
|Football||Vermillion, S.D.||1:00 PM|
|Saturday, Nov 14|
|Football||Carbondale, Ill.||2:00 PM||ESPN3|
|Saturday, Nov 21|
|Football||Cedar Falls, Iowa||4:00 PM||ESPN3|