LaSteven McKinney recorded his first career rushing touchdown.
Nov. 3, 2012
- The Salukis next game will be the Black Out Cancer game on Nov. 17 against Western Illinois. Fans can bid on game-worn jerseys here. The winning 80 bids can pick a name to be placed on the back of a jersey, which the winning bidder will get to keep after the game. All proceeds from the bids will go to the SIH Foundation's effort to build a comprehensive cancer center in Southern Illinois. For more information, visit SalukisBlackOutCancer.com.
- Bidding ends at 10 a.m. on Monday, Nov. 5, so there is only a few hours to honor a cancer victim by bidding on a jersey.
South Dakota State 16, Southern Illinois 12
Saluki Stadium / Carbondale, Ill. / Attendance: 7,499
- With the win, South Dakota State took the lead in both the overall series, 3-2, and the series in games in Carbondale, 2-1. Southern has dropped three straight to the Jackrabbits.
- Head coach Dale Lennon is now 6-4 against SDSU, which includes a 4-1 mark when he was head coach at North Dakota.
- SIU scored a safety in the fourth quarter. The last time Southern scored on a safety was Missouri State's intentional safety in 2010. Southern has now scored non-offensive points in five consecutive games and six of the last seven games.
- SDSU running back Zach Zenner entered the game leading the nation in rushing, averaging 180 yards per game on the ground. The Salukis held him to 49 yards rushing, his lowest output of the season.
- The Salukis held Zenner without a touchdown for just the second game this season.
- The Jackrabbits averaged over 200 yards rushing per game, which led the conference, but the Saluki defense held SDSU to 38 total rushing yards on Saturday.
- SIU sacked the Jacks six times on Saturday. The Salukis now have 30 sacks on the year, which ranks fifth nationally. SIU hadn't recorded six sacks in a game since since recording six sacks against South Dakota State in 2009.
- In the Lennon era, SIU has recorded six sacks three times, and two of those games have been against South Dakota State.
- Southern Illinois held SDSU to its second-lowest total-offense output of the season. South Dakota State managed only 322 yards total offense on the Saluki defense.
- The Salukis recorded a sack for the 25th consecutive game and for the 38th time in the last 39 games.
- Jayson DiManche recorded 3.0 tackles for loss, all of which came in the first half. It was DiManche's second career three-TFL game and the 13th time in his career he has recorded at least 1.5 tackles for loss. DiManche is in fifth place in school history with 35.0 tackles for loss. DiManche only needs 1.5 TFL to tie Brandin Jordan (2005-09) for fourth-place on the all-time list.
- LaSteven McKinney was second on the team with 46 rushing yards, and he recorded his first career rushing touchdown in the first quarter with a seven-yard sweep.
- The Salukis had four players with more than 35 yards rushing.
- Salukis punter Austin Pucylowski pinned the Jackrabbits inside their own 10-yard line three times in the final seven minutes of the game.
- David Lewis caught a pass for the 13th consecutive game. For the first time in five games, Lewis had more than one reception. He caught three passes for 24 yards.
- Austin Johnson set a new career high with his 42-yard field goal in the first half. After missing his first three field goal attempts of the season, Johnson has made six straight field goals and seven of his last eight attempts.
|Saturday, Oct 4|
|Football||Carbondale, Ill.||6:00 PM||Free Audio|
|Saturday, Oct 11|
|Football||Fargo, N.D.||1:00 PM||Free Audio|
|Saturday, Oct 18|
|Football||Youngstown, Ohio||3:00 PM||Free Audio|
|Saturday, Oct 25|
|Football||Carbondale, Ill.||6:00 PM|
|Saturday, Nov 8|
|Football||Springfield, Mo.||2:00 PM||Free Audio|
|Saturday, Nov 15|
|Football||Carbondale, Ill.||2:00 PM||Free Audio|
|Saturday, Nov 22|
|Football||Normal, Ill.||1:00 PM||Free Audio|