Jayson DiManche has 8 tackles for loss in his last three games against Western Illinois, including 3.0 today.
Nov. 17, 2012
Southern Illinois 35, Western Illinois 0
Saluki Stadium / Carbondale, Ill. / Attendance: 7,899
- Eighty people won bids on the black jerseys worn in today's game. The winning bidders got the opportunity to place the name of a loved one affected by cancer on the back of the jersey. More than $45,000 was raised in the effort, with 100 percent of the proceeds going towards a cancer center in Southern Illinois.
- Including last year, the two Black Out Cancer games have raised more than $170,000 to fight cancer.
- Southern Illinois head coach Dale Lennon won his 35th game at Southern, moving his SIU record to 35-23. He also moved to 26-14 in MVFC games. Over his entire 16 seasons as a head coach, Lennon is 137-56.
- Lennon recorded a winning season for the 12th time in 16 seasons as a head coach.
- Southern won its 20th game in the WIU series, closing WIU's series lead to 34-20-4. The Salukis have won 10 of the last 11 games in the series.
- SIU now trails the WIU series 11-17-1 in games played in Carbondale. The Salukis have won six straight in the series in games played in Carbondale.
- The Salukis blanked the Leathernecks for the first time since a 7-0 win in 1947.
- Mulku Kalokoh blocked his second punt of the season. The Salukis blocked five punts in 2012, returning three for touchdowns.
- SIU recorded its second shutout of the season. The last time Southern recorded two shutouts in a season was 2006.
- The 35-0 win was the first home conference shutout since 1985.
- With five sacks, the Salukis recorded 11 sacks in the last two games of the season. Entering Week 12, 17 teams in the country had recorded fewer than 11 sacks all season.
- With five sacks, the Salukis recorded 35 sacks on the season, tied with Illinois State for most in the conference and among the top 10 nationally.
- The Salukis held WIU to 16 yards rushing, the fewest of any SIU opponent since South Dakota State recorded just 14 yards rushing in 2009.
- Southern has held the Leathernecks to fewer than 20 yards rushing in two of the last three meetings between the schools. In 2010, SIU held Western to -7 yards rushing.
- Southern Illinois has recorded a sack in 26 straight games and 39 of the last 40. SIU recorded a sack in every game this season.
- With Kevin Reed's 18-yard interception return for a touchdown, Southern scored on defense or special teams for the sixth straight game to close the season.
- Southern scored nine non-offensive touchdowns this season.
- Jayson DiManche recorded 3.0 tackles for loss in the effort. In the last three years, DiManche has 8.0 tackles for loss in three games against Western Illinois.
- DiManche finished his collegiate career with 38.0 tackles for loss, fourth-most in school history. He passed Brandin Jordan (2005-09) for the fourth spot.
- Steve Strother recorded 90 yards rushing, the most by any Saluki runner in a game this season. The 43-yard run was a season long for Strother.
- David Lewis recorded a reception in the final 14 games of his collegiate career. He is the only SIU player to have at least one reception in every game of 2012.
- AJ Hill threw his first career touchdown pass, a one-yard pass to Rik Hicks.
- Two of Rik Hicks' three career receptions have been touchdowns.
|Saturday, Oct 4|
|Football||Carbondale, Ill.||6:00 PM||Free Audio|
|Saturday, Oct 11|
|Football||Fargo, N.D.||1:00 PM||Free Audio|
|Saturday, Oct 18|
|Football||Youngstown, Ohio||3:00 PM||Free Audio|
|Saturday, Oct 25|
|Football||Carbondale, Ill.||6:00 PM|
|Saturday, Nov 8|
|Football||Springfield, Mo.||2:00 PM||Free Audio|
|Saturday, Nov 15|
|Football||Carbondale, Ill.||2:00 PM||Free Audio|
|Saturday, Nov 22|
|Football||Normal, Ill.||1:00 PM||Free Audio|