Jayson DiManche (pictured) and Eze Obiora are tied for seventh in the nation in sacks this year with 4.0.
Sept. 24, 2012
What: Indiana State (2-2, 0-1 MVFC) at Southern Illinois (2-2, 1-0 MVFC)
Where: Saluki Stadium; Carbondale, Ill.
When: Sept. 29, 2012, at 6 p.m. CT
Radio: Saluki Sports Network with Mike Reis (play-by-play), Gene Green and Joel Sambursky
Stream: ESPN3.com with Scott Warmann (play-by-play), Danan Hughes (analyst) and Kelly Burke (sideline)
- Southern Illinois recorded just 198 yards of total offense in its 14-6 win over Missouri State, the fewest total yards for SIU since totaling just 187 yards against William & Mary in the 2009 playoffs.
- Steve Strother became the 33rd player in SIU history to rush for 1,000 yards in a career. Strother has 1,095 career rushing yards.
- Kory Faulkner threw for 384 yards against Southeast Missouri State, the third-highest single-game passing total in school history. He also rushed for 15 yards. His 399 yards of total offense are the fourth most in a single game in school history. Faulkner now holds two of the top six single-game total offense marks in school history.
- Faulkner has three career 250-yard passing games, one away from tying him with five others for fifth-most in school history.
- Faulkner is third the conference in passing (231.8) and total offense (232.5). Faulkner's total offense numbers rank him 11th nationally.
- Since 1999, a Saluki quarterback has thrown for more than 315 yards only three times. Kory Faulkner accounts for two of those occasions. Faulkner threw for 334 yards against Illinois State last year and 384 against SEMO last week. Nick Hill threw for an SIU-record 436 yards against Northern Iowa in 2007.
- Kory Faulkner attempted a career high 58 passes against Eastern Illinois. That is two shy of the school record set by Scott Gabbert, who threw 60 times in a game against Northern Illinois in 1989. He also completed a career-high 31 passes, fourth most in school history.
- Mika'il McCall is tied for the conference lead in scoring, averaging 10.5 points per game. McCall has scored seven touchdowns, all of which came in the first three weeks of the season. He is tied for eighth nationally in scoring.
- McCall is sixth in the conference in rushing (72.8 yards/game) and eighth in the conference in all-purpose yards (103.0 yards/game).
- MyCole Pruitt led the team with nine receptions for 121 yards against SEMO. Pruitt has recorded at least four receptions in eight of the last 10 games and nine of the last 12, dating back to last season.
- Pruitt didn't record a reception against Missouri State, the first time in his 15-game career he didn't record at least one catch.
- Southern set a Saluki Stadium record with 565 yards of total offense against SEMO. The previous record was 508 yards, set against Indiana State in 2010. SIU outgained SEMO 212 yards to four in the first quarter and 364 to 30 in the first half. The Salukis 565 yards of total offense were the most by SIU since it put up 606 yards on Illinois State in 2009.
- Against SEMO, Southern Illinois racked up 272 yards of total offense and 21 points before the Redhawks obtained a single first down.
- Mika'il McCall's 74-yard touchdown reception in the second quarter of the Eastern Illinois game matched the longest play from scrimmage SIU had in 2011, when Steve Strother had a 74-yard run at Ole Miss.
- Southern did not allow a touchdown against Missouri State, the first time SIU didn't allow a touchdown since a 33-0 win over Indiana State in 2009.
- By allowing six points to Missouri State, Southern has now held an opponent to six or fewer points three times in head coach Dale Lennon's tenure.
- Vernon Heaston rushed for 126 yards on Saturday against SIU's defense, becoming only the second player in the last nine games to reach the 100-yard mark. Since the start of the 2011 season, SIU has only allowed four 100-yard rushers in the last 15 games.
- The only other rusher to reach the 100-yard mark in the last nine games is Indiana State's Shakir Bell, who rushed for 137 yards in SIU's 35-28 win over the Sycamores last year.
- Emmanuel Souarin's pick-six was the first interception of the season for Southern Illinois. It was also SIU's first defensive touchdown since Mike McElroy returned an interception for a touchdown at Indiana State in 2011.
- The Saluki defense has at least one sack in 19 consecutive games and 32 of the last 33 games.
- Jayson DiManche recorded 2.0 tackles for loss against Eastern Illinois, 1.0 against Miami (OH), 1.5 against SEMO and 1.5 against Missouri State, giving him 29.0 career tackles for loss, which is tied with Bart Scott for the ninth-most career tackles for loss in school history.
- DiManche's 6.0 tackles for loss this season tie him for the MVFC lead in TFLs. Eze Obiora is tied for eighth in the conference with 4.0 TFLs.
- DiManche and Obiora both have 4.0 sacks on the season, which ranks seventh nationally.
- DiManche has recorded a sack in each of the first four games of the season. DiManche has already surpassed his 2011 sack total (3.0).
- Southern only allowed SEMO one first down in the first half and 30 yards of total offense. SEMO ranked first in the OVC in rushing yards per game at 238.0 coming into Carbondale but mustered just 113 on 33 attempts against SIU.
- After giving up eight explosive plays to the EIU offense (20 or more yards), the Saluki defense surrendered only four total in the last three games. SIU gave up one big play against each Miami and SEMO and two against Missouri State.
- Eze Obiora earned National Defensive Lineman of the Week honors from the College Football Coaches Association after his Week 1 performance. Obiora picked up the honor after posting three sacks against Eastern Illinois.
- Obiora's three sacks against Eastern Illinois were the most by an SIU player since Jayson DiManche recorded three sacks against Western Illinois in 2010.
- Bryan Presume needs just one more forced fumble to join 12 others in SIU history who have recorded three forced fumbles in a season. Ron Geels holds the school record with six forced in 1977. No one else has forced more than four.
- Southern has forced nine turnovers on the season, which is second-best in the Valley. SIU recovered four fumbles against EIU. SIU last recovered four fumbles in a game in 2008 against UNI. Seven of Southern's nine forced turnovers have been fumbles.
SPECIAL TEAMS NOTES
- Austin Pucylowski set a career high with 11 punts against Missouri State, the second-highest single-game total for a single punter in school history. Steve Mick attempted 12 punts against Louisiana-Lafayette in 1977.
- Steve Strother is currently second in school history in kick return average, averaging 25.6 yards per return. Larry Warner averaged 26.93 yards per return in 2008 and 09. SIU's last kick return for a touchdown was Strother at home against SEMO in 2010.
- LaSteven McKinney averaged 12.25 yards on four punt returns against SEMO. McKinney has a long of 23, his fourth career punt return of at least 20 yards. McKinney is second in the conference in punt return average (7.8). Despite nine punts by Missouri State, McKinney did not return a single punt.
- Austin Pucylowski is in his third year as the SIU punter. Pucylowski averaged 44.8 yards on 13 punts in the first two weeks. Only one of the punts has been returned and five were pinned inside the 20. Both punts against SEMO were pinned inside the five yard line.
- Only 21 of Pucylowski's 78 punts since 2011 have been returned.
- Southern is eighth nationally in net punting (41.3).
- Chris Adams only had nine touchbacks in 55 kickoffs last year, but he already has six in 2012.
SALUKIS AT HOME
- SIU moved to 7-5 at Saluki Stadium after a 35-14 win over Southeast Missouri State on Sept. 15.
- Southern is 43-7 in regular-season home games over the last nine seasons, including a 27-6 mark in conference play in that span.
INDIANA STATE SYCAMORES
- Indiana State is 2-2. After dropping a close season-opener at Indiana, 24-17, Indiana State dropped Quincy (44-0) and Drake (27-10) before falling to South Dakota State (24-10) in last week's conference opener.
- Sycamores running back Shakir Bell set a Missouri Valley Football Conference record with 349 yards against Drake earlier this season. Bell is averaging 7.1 yards per rush and is second in the nation in rushing with 166.0 yards per game.
- Bell rushed for 192 yards against Indiana (8.0 yards per rush) and 349 yards against Drake (10.6 yards per rush), but he rushed for just 69 yards against Quincy (3.6 yards per rush) and 54 yards against South Dakota State (3.0 yards per rush).
- Indiana State is seventh nationally in scoring defense, allowing just 14.5 points per game.
- Southern's nine-game winning streak over Indiana State is its longest current streak against an opponent. The SIU record for consecutive wins over one opponent is 10, which the Salukis did against Eastern Illinois in the 1950's.
- SIU is 15-9 against Indiana State in Carbondale, Ill., and has won the last four games at home against Indiana State.
- The Salukis' nine-game winning streak in the series immediately followed a nine-game winning streak by Indiana State from 1994 through 2002.
- Head coach Dale Lennon tied Abe Martin for fourth place in school history with 31 career wins. He's 23 wins away from catching the third-place coach on the list, Rey Dempsey.
- Seven of the Salukis eight longest plays from scrimmage came in the last two weeks. The only other play was Mika'il McCall's 74-yard reception in the season opener against Eastern Illinois. Five of the seven longest plays from scrimmage have resulted in touchdowns.
- Southern Illinois head coach Dale Lennon and his staff will wear a patch on their polos on Saturday to commemorate Coach to Cure MD, which is an initiative of the American Football Coaches Association to raise awareness about the leading genetic killer of young men -- Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.
- Southern Illinois was picked to finish seventh in the MVFC preseason poll. Since 2003, SIU has been picked to finish fifth or worse two times. Each of the previous two times (2003, 08), SIU went on to win a share of the MVFC title.
- In 2011, SIU finished tied for seventh in the MVFC. Lennon has only finished as low as seventh two other times. The last time Lennon finished seventh, in 2002 with North Dakota, he guided his team to a national runner-up season the following year.
Saluki Sports Network
Saluki Hall of Fame broadcaster Mike Reis is in his 33rd year as the "Voice of the Salukis." Reis will be joined once again by Gene Green and former Saluki quarterback and 2004 MVFC Offensive MVP Joel Sambursky.
Radio Network Affiliates
WVZA-FM, 105.1 - Carbondale (Flagship)
WMOK-AM, 920 AM - Metropolis, Ill.
WRXX-FM, 95.3 FM - Centralia, Ill.
WRUL-FM, 97.3 FM - Carmi, Ill.
WEBQ-FM, 102.3 FM - Harrisburg, Ill.
KYRX-FM, 97.3 FM - Cape Girardeau, Mo.
WHCO-AM, 1230 AM - Sparta, Ill.
KATZ-AM 1600 - St. Louis, Mo.
WVMC-AM 1360/FM-99.1 - Mt. Carmel, Ill.