Newcomer Caleb Harms led the team for the first time in his career.
March 5, 2013
HOOVER, Ala. - The Southern Illinois men's golf team tied for 16th at the Samford Intercollegiate on Tuesday. The Salukis completed the two-day, 54-hole tournament tied with Bowling Green with a team score of 926. Caleb Harms led the team and tied for 39th overall with a 227.
Southern's team score was identical to its team score in last year's Samford Intercollegiate. The 2013 tournament featured a tough field that included Vanderbilt, Auburn and last year's champion, Samford. The teams did completed the second round on Tuesday after a frost delay on Monday preventing teams from finishing the round on Monday. On Tuesday, the tournament was briefly postponed due to rain before teams returned to action.
Newcomer Caleb Harms, a junior, led the team for the first time in his career, posting a 54-hole total of 227. Harms shot an even-par 72 in the final round. Only 15 golfers in the 94-player field shot even par in the final round.
Jake Erickson finished second for SIU and tied for 42nd overall. With three rounds in the tournament, Erickson is one round away from tying the school record for rounds in a career. Erickson currently has 110 career rounds, one shy of Quinn McClure, who had 111 career rounds from 1992-96. With four tournaments remaining in the spring, Erickson is poised to break the record.
Brandon Cauldwell (235), Jeffrey Miller (237) and Ben Patton (243) rounded out the squad. The Salukis topped the only other Missouri Valley Conference school in the tournament, Evansville, by 10 strokes.
1. Auburn: 291-288-286 (865)
2. Vanderbilt: 287-287-302 (876)
3. Georgia Southern: 295-298-287 (880)
4. Winthrop: 296-291-300 (887)
5. Samford: 298-293-297 (888)
6. Montevallo: 296-298-299 (893)
t7. Western Carolina: 302-299-297 (898)
t7. Francis Marion: 297-303-298 (898)
9. Furman: 292-301-306 (899)
10. Belmont: 394-297-394 (905)
11. Eastern Kentucky: 297-302-312 (911)
12. Tennessee Tech: 302-305-305 (912)
13. Presbyterian College: 307-304-303 (914)
14. Murray State: 308-301-310 (919)
15. UT-Martin: 304-313-307 (924)
t16. Southern Illinois: 308=304-314 (926)
t16. Bowling Green: 308-306-312 (926)
18. Evansville: 314-310-312 (936)
94 players, 18 teams