Jake Erickson moved into second place in school history in career with 113 career rounds.
March 12, 2013
The Southern Illinois men's golf team wrapped up two tournaments on Tuesday. One team finished eighth at the Grover Page Classic in Jackson, Tenn., while the other team finished fifth in Primm, Nev., at the Jackrabbit Invitational.
"I'm really proud of how both groups played," head coach Leroy Newton said. "The group in Nevada put up some really nice scores, and we played two really solid rounds here in Jackson. We feel like we get better as the season goes along. With all 10 golfers playing so well these last two days, I think that shows the progress we make with our golfers throughout the year.
In Primm, Nev., Southern got three solid rounds from all five golfers. All five golfers scored par or better on at least one round. The Salukis were led by Jake Erickson, who scored a 70 and 71 in the second and third rounds, respectively, and finished tied for 14th overall. Also, with three rounds, Erickson moved into second place in school history in career rounds with 113, behind Blake Driskell.
The Salukis had three golfers among the top 20, with Brandon Cauldwell and Caleb Harms both one stroke behind Erickson with a 217. Jeffrey Miller (220) and Joe Goelzhauser (222) rounded out the squad. None of the five golfers shot worse than 3-over-par in any round.
Against Missouri Valley Conference schools, the Salukis topped Drake by three strokes and Creighton by 30 strokes. Illinois State finished ahead of SIU by six strokes.
"The seniors have arrived," Newton said. "They knew what was expected of them, and they went out and played hard and at a high level. They have always had the potential to play just like that, and it's great to see them reaching that as we get closer to the end of the year."
In Jackson, the Salukis were led by freshman Drew Novara, who finished tied for 13th overall. Novara tied a three-round career best with a 225 in the tournament. Novara finished third in the tournament in par-3 scoring at even par. George Tate and Ben Patton also finished in the top 20. Novara also finished among the top 20 in par-4 scoring and birdies.
George Tate, Ben Patton and Ryan Haxel all tied for 42nd individually after shooting a three-round total of 236. Brady Brown shot a 240 in is first tournament as a Saluki, leading the squad in the third round with a 78.
"We played two really solid rounds," Newton said. "Our young kids were in a tough spot, going against everyone else's seniors, but they hung in there and were very competitive. This was a great experience for our young guys and will help them going forward."
JACKRABBIT INVITATIONAL TEAM RESULTS
1. Air Force: 276-281-272 (828)
2. Idaho: 278-283-280 (841)
3. South Dakota State: 288-281-286 (855)
4. Illinois State: 297-286-278 (861)
5. Southern Illinois: 295-285-287 (867)
6. Drake: 292-286-293 (870)
7. North Dakota State: 295-290-289 (874)
8. Arkansas State: 297-291-290 (878)
9. North Dakota: 290-295-295 (880)
10. Weber State: 298-292-293 (883)
11. Oakland: 293-301-292 (886)
12. Youngstown State: 297-305-294 (896)
13. Creighton: 301-294-302 (897)
14. Augustana (S.D.): 319-315-310 (944)
JACKRABBIT INVITATIONAL INDIVIDUAL RESULTS
t14. Jake Erickson: 75-70-71 (216)
t20. Brandon Cauldwell: 72-72-73 (217)
t20. Caleb Harms: 75-71-71 (217)
t34. Jeffrey Miller: 73-72-75 (220)
t43. Joe Goelzhauser: 75-75-72 (222)
GROVER PAGE CLASSIC TEAM RESULTS
1. Tennessee-Martin: 297-297-296 (890)
2. Union: 302-286-305 (893)
3. Murray State: 304-295-299 )898)
4. Lipscomb: 292-300-307 (899)
5. UT-Martin (B): 299-303-307 (909)
6. Morehead State: 312-306-296 (914)
7. Tennessee Tech: 309-305-301 (915)
8. Southern Illinois: 306-300-319 (925)
9. Tennessee State: 313-303-319 (935)
10. John A. Logan: 318-319-307 (944)
11. Travecca Nazarene: 323-313-321 (957)
12. Jackson State: 326-329-316 (971)
13. Bethel: 331-329-322 (982)
GROVER PAGE CLASSIC INDIVIDUAL RESULTS
t13. Drew Novara: 71-73-81 (225)
t42. George Tate: 76-81-79 (236)
t42. Ben Patton: 80-72-84 (236)
t42. Ryan Haxel: 79-76-81 (236)
t50. Brady Brown: 83-79-78 (240)