March 8, 2014
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Southern Illinois men's tennis team topped Belmont on Saturday afternoon, 5-2. After having its four-match winning streak snapped last weekend against Cleveland State, SIU got back into the win column thanks to five singles wins at Nos. 2-6 singles.
"We played well in doubles but came up short," head coach Dann Nelson said. "We were able to win some quick sets in singles and gain some momentum back. We competed as a team, and the bottom of the lineup stepped up and did a great job. We are looking forward to playing again tomorrow. Hopefully, we can keep the momentum going. The guys did a great job lifting up Jonny, who played well but ran into an excellent opponent."
Southern (5-5) lost the doubles point despite a dominating 8-1 win at No. 2 doubles from Jorge Cavero and Szymon Opieczonek. Trailing 1-0 heading into singles play, Southern needed to win four of the six singles matches to take the team win.
Jonny Rigby, Southern's most reliable player this year with a six-match winning streak, fell at No. 1 singles 6-1, 7-6(7), despite putting up a fight in the tiebreak. But the Salukis rallied to win at Nos. 3-6 singles to get the win. Michal Kianicka won at No. 3 singles in three sets, and Rafael Cuadrillero also used three sets to win on court six.
1. Mauricio Antun (BELM) def. Jonny Rigby (SIU) 6-1, 7-6 (9-7)
2. Jorge Cavero (SIU) def. Marko Lovrinovic (BELM) 6-7, 7-5, 11-9
3. Michal Kianicka (SIU) def. Cedric Dujacquier (BELM) 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
4. Szymon Opieczonek (SIU) def. Martijn Verberne (BELM) 6-2, 6-2
5. Filip Aleksic (SIU) def. Henrik Claesson (BELM) 7-5, 7-5
6. Rafael Cuadrillero (SIU) def. Hans Nardelli (BELM) 3-6, 6-1, 6-1
1. Mauricio Antun/Marko Lovrinovic (BELM) def. Jonny Rigby/Michal Kianicka (SIU) 8-5
2. Jorge Cavero/Szymon Opieczonek (SIU) def. Martijn Verberne/Hans Nardelli (BELM) 8-1
3. Cedric Dujacquier/Henrik Claesson (BELM) def. Filip Aleksic/Jeremy Dixon (SIU) 8-3