Jeremy Dixon picked up his first collegiate singles win on Saturday.
March 22, 2014
CARBONDALE, Ill. - The Southern Illinois men's tennis team got its seventh win in the last eight matches with a 7-0 sweep of Vincennes on Saturday afternoon. It marked the second-straight sweep for the Salukis, who hope to be hitting their stride at the right time with MVC play just two weeks away.
"I am proud of the way our guys played today," head coach Dann Nelson said. "Our doubles was excellent. We were able to play all of our guys today. We are excited about Jeremy winning his first college singles match. We need to continue to improve and have a good week of practice this week. We are looking forward to playing in a very good MTSU tournament next weekend."
Southern (7-5) cruised to the doubles point with dominant play on both of the top-two courts. Jonny Rigby and Michal Kianicka won for the sixth time in their last seven decisions, 8-2, and Jorge Cavero and Szymon Opieczonek were even more dominant on court two, winning 8-1.
Southern kept rolling in singles play, with five of the six singles matches ending in straight sets. Rigby won at No. 1 singles in three sets, taking the match thanks to a 10-3 super-tiebreaker win over Warren Kuhn. Rigby improved to 9-2 in singles play this spring, with every match coming on the top court.
After a 6-4 win in the first set, Cavero won early in his second when Edmundo Ulloa retired. Kianicka blanked Garret Mandrell in the first set and went on for a 6-0, 6-4 win at No. 3 singles. Rafael Cuadrillero posted a convincing 6-3, 6-1 win on court four, and Filip Aleksic won 6-0, 6-2 on court five. Playing in just his second singles match of his college career, SIU newcomer Jeremy Dixon blanked his opponent in both sets, 6-0, 6-0, to get his first collegiate singles win.
1. Jonny Rigby (SIU) def. Warren Kuhn (VIN) 6-3, 2-6, 10-3
2. Jorge Cavero (SIU) def. Edmundo Ulloa (VIN) 6-4, 1-0, retired
3. Michal Kianicka (SIU) def. Garrett Mandrell (VIN) 6-0, 6-4
4. Rafael Cuadrillero (SIU) def. Harsha Manjunath (VIN) 6-3, 6-1
5. Filip Aleksic (SIU) def. Chris Holcomb (VIN) 6-0, 6-2
6. Jeremy Dixon (SIU) def. Zachery Mustin (VIN) 6-0, 6-0
1. Jonny Rigby/Michal Kianicka (SIU) def. Warren Kuhn/Garrett Mandrell (VIN) 8-2
2. Jorge Cavero/Szymon Opieczonek (SIU) def. Chris Holcomb/Edmundo Ulloa (VIN) 8-1
3. Filip Aleksic/Jeremy Dixon (SIU) vs. Harsha Manjunath/Zachery Mustin (VIN) 6-3, unfinished