Jonny Rigby won both his singles and doubles matches on Saturday
March 29, 2014
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - The Southern Illinois men's tennis team lost to UT-Arlington 4-2 on Saturday afternoon to fall to 7-7 overall this season. Southern won the doubles point and three first sets in singles but couldn't hang on.
"Our guys competed at a high level, and even though we lost, I am proud if the way we fought for every point," head coach Dann Nelson said. "We had some very good performances but were unable to close out UTA."
The match started well for the Salukis, with SIU starting out with a 1-0 lead after winning at Nos. 1 and 2 doubles. Michal Kianicka and Jonny Rigby got an easy 6-2 win at No. 1 doubles, and Jorge Cavero and Szymon Opieczonek won a hard-fought 6-5 decision at No. 2 doubles.
SIU needed three singles wins to secure the victory, and it got three first-set wins on courts 1-3. Jonny Rigby closed out his match with a straight-sets 6-4, 6-3 win over Marek Pesicka, but Cavero and Kianicka both lost their matches in three sets.
Filip Aleksic and Opieczonek lost in straight sets on courts six and four, respectively, to knot the score at 2-2. With either team securing a win with third-set victories on both courts 2 and 3, UTA came through on both courts. Carlos Arbiza topped Cavero 4-6, 6-1, 6-5 and Armengol Danie beat Kianicka 2-6, 6-1, 6-2.
The Salukis play Illinois State tomorrow at 10:30 a.m.
1. Jonny Rigby (SIU) def. Marek Pesicka (UTA) 6-4, 6-3
2. Carlos Arbiza (UTA) def. Jorge Cavero (SIU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-5
3. Danie, Armengol (UTA) def. Michal Kianicka (SIU) 2-6, 6-1, 6-2
4. Mario Muniesa (UTA) def. Szymon Opieczonek (SIU) 6-5, 6-4
5. Rafael Cuadrillero (SIU) vs. Austin Robles (UTA) unfinished
6. Daniel, Echevery (UTA) def. Filip Aleksic (SIU) 6-4, 6-3