Jorge Cavero got SIU's lone team point with a win at No. 2 singles on Sunday.
March 31, 2014
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - The Southern Illinois men's tennis team closed out the MTSU Shootout with its third-straight loss on Sunday. The Salukis (7-8) dropped a 4-1 decision to Illinois State (6-9).
"Illinois state was too deep for us today," head coach Dann Nelson said. "For the second day in a row, we played well in spots, but it was not good enough to come away with the team victory."
Michal Kianicka and Jonny Rigby teamed up at No. 1 doubles to get an easy 8-2 win. The tandem improved to 16-6 on the year and has won seven of its last eight decisions at No. 1 doubles, but Southern dropped decisions on courts two and three to drop the doubles point and dig itself an early 1-0 hole.
In singles play, Jorge Cavero got SIU's lone team point with a straight-sets 6-4, 6-1 win at No. 2 singles over Urh Drajnc Domiter. Southern had third-set leads on courts one and four, but both matches went unfinished when the Redbirds clinched the team win win points on courts three, five and six.
The loss was the third-straight for the Salukis after having won seven of their last eight before this weekend. Missouri Valley Conference play begins Thursday with a road match at Bradley before heading to Drake to take on the Bulldogs on Saturday.
1. Jacob Wilson (ILS) vs. Jonny Rigby (SIU) 1-6, 7-5, 0-2, unfinished
2. Jorge Cavero (SIU) def. Urh Krajnc Domiter (ILS) 6-4, 6-1
3. Jakub Eisner (ILS) def. Szymon Opieczonek (SIU) 6-1, 7-6
4. Muddappa Appanervada (ILS) vs. Michal Kianicka (SIU) 2-6, 6-1, 0-2, unfinished
5. Rolando Torrellas (ILS) def. Rafael Cuadrillero (SIU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Rodrigo Oliveira (ILS) def. Filip Aleksic (SIU) 6-3, 6-3