April 1, 2012
By Tyler Wooten
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. -- The Southern Illinois men's tennis team dropped its final two matches in the Sun Belt Shootout consolation bracket on Sunday to Florida Atlantic and Austin Peay, falling 4-0 in both contests.
Match One: Florida Atlantic, 4 Southern Illinois, 0
The Salukis (5-9) fought into two third sets and two tiebreaks, but were unable to outlast Florida Atlantic (12-8) in the long run.
Fighting the longest was junior Orhan Spahic, who fell to FAU's Garrett Betsarakis, 2-6, 6-4, 0-6. This was the fourth third set Spahic has played into this dual match season.
Victory looked possible at the second and third singles positions. Senior Stanislas Rodier was heading into a third set, 1-6, 7-6, before the match went final. Junior Brandon Florez was also about to force a third set as well, ending his match with FAU's Robert Dubuque, 6-7, 6-5.
1. Albrecht, Taylor (FAU) def. Badr Cherradi (SIU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Neuner, Will (FAU) vs. Stanislas Rodier (SIU) 1-6, 7-6, unfinished
3. Dubuque, Robert (FAU) vs. Brandon Florez (SIU) 7-6, 5-6, unfinished
4. Betsarakis, Garrett (FAU) def. Orhan Spahic (SIU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-0
5. Bogomolov, Boris (FAU) def. Rafael Cuadrillero (SIU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Bacha, Sean (FAU) def. Martijn Admiraal (SIU) 6-1, 6-3
Doubles were not played.
Match Two: Austin Peay, 4 Southern Illinois, 0
In a rematch of a hotly contested 4-3 loss to the Governors on Feb. 17, Austin Peay (8-6) once again got the better of Southern (5-10), this time topping the Salukis, 4-0.
Southern fought hard the whole way yet again, scraping into two third sets and three tiebreaks, but were again unable to get over the hump.
Junior Badr Cherradi was two games within victory at the top spot over APSU's Sean Bailey, leading 2-6, 6-4, 4-0 before the match was final. A Saluki victory also looked promising at No. 5, where sophomore Rafael Cuadrillero led John Storie 6-7, (4), 6-3, 1-0 at the time APSU scored the final match point.
"It was a good opportunity for us to get three high quality opponents," said head coach Dann Nelson. "This tournament will hopefully help us prepare for the conference season."
1. BAILEY, Sean (APSU) vs. Badr Cherradi (SIU) 6-2, 4-6, 0-4, unfinished
2. ADEMOVIC, Jasmin (APSU) def. Stanislas Rodier (SIU) 6-1, 7-5
3. RISTOVSKI, Dimitar (APSU) def. Brandon Florez (SIU) 6-3, 6-4
4. TVERIJONAS, Aleksas (APSU) def. Orhan Spahic (SIU) 6-2, 6-3
5. STORIE, John (APSU) vs. Rafael Cuadrillero (SIU) 7-6 (7-4), 3-6, 0-1, unfinished
6. HRICISTE, Michal (APSU) def. Szymon Opieczonek (SIU) 6-2, 7-6 (7-3)
Doubles were not played.
The Salukis come home next Saturday, April 7, to open Missouri Valley Conference play with No. 73 Wichita State.