April 6, 2013
PEORIA, Ill.-- The Southern Illinois University men’s tennis team recorded their first conference win of the season Saturday snapping Bradley’s six-match win streak with a 4-3 win over the Braves.
"We talked in practice this week about the possibility of this match being close and coming down to one match," said SIU head coach Dann Nelson. "That is exactly what happened today.
SIU (10-3, 1-0 MVC) fell behind BU (12-7, 0-1 MVC) after dropping the doubles point to begin the day. Martijn Admiraal and Brandon Florez won in the No. 1 doubles position 8-6 but the other Saluki duos failed to hold on to their matches.
Southern rallied in singles play as four Salukis saw victories to seal the match win.
Admiraal showed his stuff winning the tiebreak to capture the set and match win.
"Martijn Admiraal showed us today why he is undefeated this season," Nelson said. "We have so much confidence in him we knew if he played well the outcome would be good for us."
Southern Illinois will travel to Illinois State tomorrow for a 1 p.m. match with the Redbirds.
Southern Illinois 4, at Bradley 3
1. Martin Admiraal/Brandon Florez (SIU) def. Ahmed Albitar/Ashton Kalhorn (BU) 8-6
2. Juan Diego Cuadrado/Hamish Weerasinghe (BU) def. Badr Cherradi/Jonny Rigby (SIU) 8-6
3. Justin Abrams/Arthur Romanet (BU) def. Jorge Cavero/Szymon Opieczonek (SIU) 8-6
1. Brandon Florez (SIU) def. Ahmed Albitar (BU) 6-0, 6-3
2. Juan Diego Cuadrado (BU) def. Jorge Cavero (SIU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Badr Cherradi (SIU) def. Ashton Kalhorn (BU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Hamish Weerasinghe (BU) def. Rafael Cuadrillero (SIU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Jonny Rigby (SIU) def. Arthur Romanet (BU) 6-4, 6-0
6. Martin Admiraal (SiU) def. Justin Abrams (BU) 6-4, 7-6 (0)