Senior Stan Rodier improved to 6-7 in singles with his 6-3, 6-4 victory over WSU's David Cavalcanti.
April 7, 2012
By Tyler Wooten
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- The Southern Illinois men's tennis team fell in its Missouri Valley Conference opener against Wichita State, 6-1, on Saturday at University Courts.
The Salukis (5-11, 0-1 MVC) forced three tiebreaks in a match not indicative of the final score, but were unable to outlast the Shockers (12-4, 1-0 MVC).
Leading the way for Southern was senior Stanislas Rodier, who claimed the lone Saluki match point at No. 2 singles. Rodier handed WSU's David Cavalcanti his fourth loss of the dual match season, coming out on top 6-3, 6-4. Rodier avenged a loss to Cavalcanti with the victory, having lost to him at the MVC Individual Championships back in January, 1-6, 1-6.
Forcing tiebreaks in singles were juniors Badr Cherradi (4-6, 6-7 (4) at No. 1) and Brandon Florez (6-7 (1), 3-6 at No. 3). Cherradi's loss was a rematch against Matheus Pereira, who was nationally ranked No. 66 when Cherradi defeated him at the MVC Individual Championships, 6-3, 6-4.
The doubles point was hotly contested by Southern, with the ultimate difference being two points in a tiebreak at the top position. Southern's Rodier and Florez were down 7-5 against Cavalcanti and Pereira -- who were nationally ranked and are now 12-3 this dual match season -- before storming back, taking the next three games to force a tiebreak.
In the tiebreak, however, WSU got off to an early lead and was able to hold off a Saluki charge at the end and take the doubles point, 9-8 (5).
The Salukis have fallen to 2-3 at home this season and are 1-4 in their last five matches against the Shockers, their last victory coming April 11, 2009 (4-3).
"We played well in doubles, but came up a little short," said head coach Dann Nelson.
"I'm especially proud of Stan and Badr for their performances today," Nelson said. "Stan avenged a loss to the same player from the MVC Individuals back in January. Badr played a strong singles match against an excellent opponent and his match could have gone either way."
"We will need the same effort when we play next week against Eastern Illinois."
The Salukis will trek up I-57 next Wednesday to Charleston, Ill., to take on non-conference foe Eastern Illinois.
1. Matheus Pereira (WSU) def. Badr Cherradi (SIU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
2. Stanislas Rodier (SIU) def. David Cavalcanti (WSU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Tomislav Gregurovic (WSU) def. Brandon Florez (SIU) 7-6 (7-1), 6-3
4. Guillermo Nicol (WSU) def. Orhan Spahic (SIU) 6-3, 7-5
5. Erick Reyes (WSU) def. Rafael Cuadrillero (SIU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Juan Estenssoro (WSU) def. Martijn Admiraal (SIU) 6-2, 6-0
1. David Cavalcanti/Matheus Pereira (WSU) def. Brandon Florez/Stanislas Rodier (SIU) 9-8 (7-5)
2. Guillermo Nicol/Tomislav Gregurovic (WSU) def. Szymon Opieczonek/Orhan Spahic (SIU) 8-3
3. Badr Cherradi/Jordan Snyder (SIU) def. Juan Estenssoro/Erick Reyes (WSU) 8-4