April 25, 2008
By Beth Miller
OMAHA, Neb. - The Southern Illinois University men's tennis team defeated Illinois State, 4-1, in the opening round of play in the Missouri Valley Conference Championships.
The Redbirds captured the doubles point with wins at the No. 1 and No. 2 spot. Illinois State lacked a sixth player, giving the Salukis an automatic win at No. 3 doubles.
In singles action, Lucas Waked defeated the Redbird's No. 1 player, Luka Marinkovic, 6-3, 6-2. Hugo Vidal grabbed the win at No. 2 singles against Nuno Jacinto, 6-4, 6-3, while Mariano Restrepo won his match against Daniel Tobar at No. 3 singles. No. 4 singles was not finished, resulting in no score. No. 5 singles was not played, and the Salukis got the automatic win at No. 6 singles, giving SIU the 4-1 victory.
The Salukis will be back in action tomorrow as they face top-seeded Drake at 2 p.m.
Southern Illinois 4, Illinois State 1
1. Lucas Waked (SIU) def. Luka Marinkovic (ILS) 6-3, 6-2
2. Hugo Vidal (SIU) def. Nuno Jacinto (ILS) 6-4, 6-3
3. Mariano Restrepo (SIU) def. Daniel Tobar (ILS) 6-1, 7-6
4. Anton Leonenko (SIU) vs. Filip Miljevic (ILS) 6-3, 3-6, 2-1, unfinished
5. Michael Hobson (ILS) vs. Sebastian Rubiano (SIU) no result
6. Chase Miller (SIU) def. No player (ILS), by forfeit
1. Luka Marinkovic/Daniel Tobar (ILS) def. Lucas Waked/Anton Leonenko (SIU) 8-3
2. Nuno Jacinto/Filip Miljevic (ILS) def. Hugo Vidal/Sebastian Rubiano (SIU) 8-6
3. Mariano Restrepo/Chase Miller (SIU) def. No player/No player (ILS), by forfeit
|Friday, Jan 17|
|Men's Tennis||Stillwater, Ok.||1:00 PM|
|Saturday, Jan 18|
|Men's Tennis||Stillwater, Ok.||10:00 AM|
|Friday, Jan 31|
|Men's Tennis||Rockford, Ill.||5:00 PM|
|Saturday, Feb 1|
|Men's Tennis||Rockford, Ill.||10:00 AM|
|Friday, Feb 7|
|Men's Tennis||St. Louis, Mo.||TBA|