Amy Lee shot a 73 in the final round, a career best.
March 12, 2013
PRIMM, Nev. - The Southern Illinois women's golf team finished the Jackrabbit Invitational in fifth place. The Salukis placed three golfers among the top-15 in the tournament, led by Cassie Rushing and Amy Lee tied for 11th individually to lead the way, while Shaina Rennagarbe finished tied for 14th.
Lee, a freshman, posted a career-best round in the third and final round with a 73, leading the squad by three strokes in the round. Lee has placed in the top-20 in three of SIU's last four tournaments. The tournament marked Lee's highest individual finish since winning the SIUE DoubleTree Intercollegiate in September.
"Any time someone goes out and shoots a career best, that's a highlight," head coach Alexis Mihelich said. "We had some solid rounds out there. We can use this as a jumping-off point for our spring season and head up from here."
Rushing, a junior, has finished in the top-15 in all six tournaments this year. Both Rushing and Lee shot a three-round total of 232. Shaina Rennegarbe was two shots back of Lee and Rushing and tied for 14th overall.
Southern topped the other two Missouri Valley Conference schools in the tournament convincingly, beating Creighton by 62 strokes and Drake by 69 strokes.
Mattie Lindner (246) and Ashleigh Rushing (247) rounded out the squad. The Salukis have a day off before competing in the Bison Invitational at Paiute on March 14-15. The tournament will feature one round on each of the two days.
1. Houston Baptist: 306-321-299 (926)
2. Eastern Washington: 318-306-308 (932)
3. Arkansas State: 313-319-305 (937)
4. Oakland: 312-315-313 (940)
5. Southern Illinois: 317-312-312 (941)
6. South Dakota State: 320-321-316 (957)
7. Montana State: 331-318-314 (963)
8. Youngstown State: 328-322-315 (965)
9. Western Illinois: 337-328-332 (997)
10. Creighton: 339-339-325 (1003)
11. Drake: 348-328-334 (1010)
12. North Dakota: 340-335-342 (1017)