Feb. 7, 2014
By Tim McCaughan
DANVILLE, Ill. - The Southern Illinois women's tennis team played its third match away from home Friday, falling to Eastern Illinois, 4-3. The loss marks the third of the season and the first time since 2010-11 that the team has started 0-3.
EIU began the day by taking the doubles point, gaining the early 1-0 advantage over the Salukis. Meagan Monoghan and senior Anita Lee picked up the lone win in doubles play. The duo bested Hannah Kimbrough and Ali Foster, 6-4.
Southern and Eastern traded singles points all the way until the end where it came down to Kimbrough and junior Gisela Cairo Baza at the No. 5 position. Kimbrough was able to gain a 6-3 edge after the first set and was able to hold off a rallying Cairo Baza in the second set to win the match with a 7-5 second-set score.
Junior Natasha Tomishima picked up her first win of the 2014 season with a 6-1, 6-0 victory at the No. 1 slot. Polina Dozortseva and Monaghan each won their singles matches. Dorortseva at the No. 6 slot, 6-1, 6-2, and Monaghan at the No. 2 spot, 6-0, 6-2.
The Salukis have a quick turnaround as they travel to Clarksville, Tenn. for a 1 p.m. matchup with Austin Peay. Southern swept the Governors last season, 7-0.
Eastern Illinois 4, Southern Illinois 3
1. Natasha Tomishima (SIU) def. PRISNER, Janelle (EIU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Meagan Monaghan (SIU) def. IDEN, Kelly (EIU) 6-0, 6-2
3. BOULBAHAIEM, Sephora (EIU) def. Anita Lee (SIU) 3-6, 6-2, 10-1
4. FOSTER, Ali (EIU) def. Ariadna Cairo Baza (SIU) 6-4, 7-6
5. KIMBROUGH, Hannah (EIU) def. Gisela Cairo Baza (SIU) 6-3, 7-5
6. Polina Dozortseva (SIU) def. STADALNINKAIT, Kamil (EIU) 6-1, 6-2