Gisela Cairo Baza won at No. 6 singles.
March 21, 2014
By Tyler Wooten
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. - Saluki women's tennis had its 10-match winning streak snapped on Friday, losing to 52nd-ranked Illinois, 6-1, at the Atkins Tennis Center.
Amid troublesome winds, Southern (10-4) started out strong in doubles competition, where the Illini (7-6) were able to sneak away with the doubles point on two 8-6 victories and a 6-5 withdrawal at the No. 2 spot.
Illinois was able to pull away in singles competition, though, but not without four hard-fought matches against the Salukis. At No. 1, Natasha Tomishima put on a rally at the end, but fell just short of pushing a third set at 2-6, 6-7. Meagan Monaghan gave Illinois' Louise Kwong trouble at the No. 3 spot, but Kwong prevailed, 7-5, 6-4. Polina Dozortsevawas able to force a third set, but fell to Jerricka Boone at the No. 4 spot, 4-6, 7-5, 0-1.
Southern's lone point came off of the play of Gisela Cairo Baza, who took down Illinois' Emily Barretta at the No. 6 spot to the score of 4-6, 6-4, 1-0.
"Illinois has a strong team," said SIU head coach Audra Anderson. "We were right there in doubles, just a few points difference there. We played four strong singles matches, and Gisela played possibly the best match of her career."
SIU returns home to host Evansville this Wednesday, March 26, at 2 p.m.
1. Alexis Casati (ILL) def. Natasha Tomishima (SIU), 6-2, 7-6
2. Melissa Kopinski (ILL) def. Anita Lee (SIU), 6-0 6-2
3. Louise Kwong (ILL) def. Meagan Monaghan (SIU), 7-5, 6-4
4. Jerricka Boone (ILL) def. Polina Dozortseva (SIU), 6-4, 5-7, 1-0
5. Misia Kedzierski (ILL) def. Ariadna Cairo Baza (SIU), 6-1, 6-0
6. Gisela Cairo Baza (SIU) def. Emily Barretta (ILL), 4-6, 6-4, 1-0